The first Methodist Church in Mauricetown was built by Charles Bacon in 1842 under the pastorate of Reverend Jacob Londenslager. Reverend T. Ford was the presiding elder. Dedicatory sermon was preached by Reverend Charles Pitman in October of 1842. The original building was sold for $300.00 in 1880 and moved from the lot.
Griffith Pritchard built the existing church building in 1880. The cost was $6,160.00. Its very prominent 101 ft. steeple guided many sea captains up the Maurice River on their return home. The corner stone, donated by M.W. Applegate of Bridgeton, was laid on June 24, 1880 with presiding elder, C.E. Hill officiating. Deposited therein is a copy of the Advocate, the Methodist, the Mauricetown Pilot, a list of subscribers and a photograph of the pastor, Reverend W.T. Abbott.
The new Church was dedicated by Bishop Simpson on Thursday, February 17, 1881 at 10 A.M. Text used was II Kings 6:17.
On October 16, 1960, a reopening and dedication service for the renovation of the worship sanctuary was held under the pastorate of Reverend Fred Slater. This was one of the major renovation projects of the church building.
During the next 20 years, many additional improvements were made to the Church building and other additions including a new organ and sound system, siding, carpeting, installation of a bathroom, Sunday School Room dividers, wainscoting (vestibules and stairways), a new heating system, insulation, chair lift and a wheel chair ramp.
During the pastorate of John C. Robbins (1982 – 2007), many improvements were made to the Church building and the parsonage. In 1988, major renovations were made to the parsonage including a new Church office, new kitchen, a new bedroom and the renovation of an existing bedroom.
The steeple was repaired after being struck by lightning in 1999. Also, under the pastorate of John C. Robbins, the adjoining lot was purchased. The house was demolished and a paved parking lot was installed in May 2004.
In August of 2004, the Sunday School Room was dedicated in memory of Louis A. Gerbereux, III.
We continue to offer Sunday worship, Kids' Club (concurrent with worship), an adult Sunday School Class (prior to worship), Thursday morning bible study, Ladies' Loyalty Circle, monthly covered-dish fellowship meals, an annual ladies' retreat, and other activities and events.
Our church also has a blessing box out front of the building. This allows people to receive non-perishable food items or toiletries when they are in the box. This set-up allows for 24/7 access to help those in need in our community. People can also make donations to the box at any time. In addition, we support various mission groups and missionaries locally and beyond.
The church facilities continue to be maintained and upgraded. This includes exterior painting and siding, stained-glass window repair, recent upgrades for building safety, and new pew bibles for the sanctuary. We are currently working on our steeple project. This is the original steeple and it now needs to be replaced. This is being done in a way that honors its historical significance and resembles its current aesthetics.
Through the years, the Mauricetown United Methodist Church has remained committed to the Lord’s work. We are both honored and humbled to be the hands, feet and heart of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in this community. Along with our sister church in Haleyville, we are, "Two small churches doing big things for the Kingdom of God."
Through the years, the Mauricetown United Methodist Church has remained committed to the Lord’s work. We are both honored and humbled to be the hands, feet and heart of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in this community.
PRAISE THE LORD!